Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” Matthew 19:14
Children have a special place in God’s heart, and they certainly have a special place at Cornerstone!
Weekly Children’s Church
Every Sunday during each of our Worship services Cornerstone offers age-specific education, fun and fellowship for all children, pre-K thru 6th grade.
- Nursery Care for infants and toddlers
- Pre-K class for little ones starting to learn about God
- Elementary class for students grounding in God’s Word
- Club 56 – for 5th and 6th graders; this is a two-year confirmation class covering the basics of the Christian faith, in preparation toward becoming full members of our Church
Monthly “Fun for Kids” Events
Kids need space to create and grow relationships with other children, to play together and to grow in God. We’ve made a goal of offering regular special events for kids and families to play together and develop deep bonds. These events are different throughout the year, and include:
- Pool party at the Covington Aquatic Center
- Family Potluck and Rock Painting
- Movie and Pizza gatherings
- Community Easter Egg Hunt and Celebration of Jesus
- Summer Vacation Bible School
- Ice Cream Socials
- Playdates with Pastor James
- Bouncy Houses at our Ministry Fair
- Community Trunk-or-Treat at Halloween
- Children’s Nativity Pageant
- Birthday Party for Jesus at Christmas
Keeping kids safe and healthy is a priority at Cornerstone and among the people of The United Methodist Church. Our Safe Spaces policy is active for all children, youth and vulnerable adults. All volunteer servants with children and youth undergo state background checks. We adhere to guidelines on safe practices and student-to-teacher ratios. And we use a check-out system on Sunday mornings after Children’s Church, asking parents to sign out their kids – ensuring kids are always finding Mom and Dad!
Jesus welcomed children into the life of His kingdom, and in the same way we invite children to participate in the life our congregation in many ways:
- as Acolytes at the start of Sunday services, where they “bring the light of Christ” into our midst
- during the “Kids’ Time” or “Children’s Moment” during Sunday service, where Pastor James or Ms. Christine leads our children in engaging with God
- during weekly Children’s Church (kids are welcome to stay in “big people Church” with their parents, too!)
- during yearly special events, like Summer Vacation Bible School
- through monthly “Fun for Kids” gatherings
- through specialized ministries, which has included special dramas and a Dance Team
- Children are welcome to receive Communion at Cornerstone under their parents’/guardians’ supervision, and are returned from Children’s Church to our sanctuary on Sundays when Communion is served.
- Every Advent season our children lead us in a Christmas Pageant, telling the stories of Jesus’ birth
Our Children’s Ministries Team
We are blessed by many servants in Children’s Ministries: both teachers on Sunday mornings and helpers at our special events.
We are led by Children’s Ministries Director Christine Girard – who has a big heart for encouraging all children to know they are loved by God!
The best way to learn about Cornerstone’s ministries with kids is to visit us on a Sunday morning, or to reach out and share questions with Ms. Christine: email@example.com